Blown turbo, so far

Talk about 4WD and Camping
Vehicles. ATV. Swags. Tents
Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 129

Blown turbo, so far

Post by Seb »

Well I've been a bit quiet on the hunting front. Was supposed to have 10 days in the hills last month, but it wasn't to be.
Driving to work Friday morning but if a cough and a splutter then plumes of smoke and my ranger had a runaway, managed to choke it by blocking the snorkel until it stopped so hopefully no major damage in the big end, turbo is definitely gone and the oil return fed back into the head until i managed to choke it.
So I'm in the 2wd work Ute with one on order that's supposed to arrive December/Jan

HDS
Liked posts: 196

Blown turbo, so far

Post by HDS »

oh heck.
Warm Barrels.

AndrewT
Liked posts: 69

Blown turbo, so far

Post by AndrewT »

No good

TempesT
Liked posts: 40

Blown turbo, so far

Post by TempesT »

That sounds expensive and a real pita.

Got any 2wd spots up the sleeve

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 129

Blown turbo, so far

Post by Seb »

TempesT wrote: August 4th, 2022, 7:10 pm That sounds expensive and a real pita.

Mechanic said worst case 18k and parts aren't readily available. Not really worth it in a Ute that's trade in value is at best 30k.
Best case new turbo and fluids is pushing 3k but I'd hazard a guess it won't be that simple.

Some 2wd access I know of but I just had 4 new trail cams arrive so guess I'll spend my spring scouting and packing in

burners
Liked posts: 34

Blown turbo, so far

Post by burners »

No good Seb.
These modern engines are a worry hey, one hiccup and your thousands out of pocket.
Had a similar experience with a hilux a few years back, ended up buying a repairable write off and swapping the engine over.

biglaz
Liked posts: 24

Blown turbo, so far

Post by biglaz »

Seb wrote: August 4th, 2022, 9:19 pm
TempesT wrote: August 4th, 2022, 7:10 pm That sounds expensive and a real pita.

Mechanic said worst case 18k and parts aren't readily available. Not really worth it in a Ute that's trade in value is at best 30k.
Best case new turbo and fluids is pushing 3k but I'd hazard a guess it won't be that simple.

Some 2wd access I know of but I just had 4 new trail cams arrive so guess I'll spend my spring scouting and packing in
[/quo

Fark that's no good Seb, that's unbelievable The way things are going between fuel prices and costs to repair diesel motors I think a petrol driven vehicle may be my next purchase.
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

Gibbo 30.06
Liked posts: 20

Blown turbo, so far

Post by Gibbo 30.06 »

Lucky you even thought to cover the snorkel to choke it, I recon most people would have turned the car off and it keeps going and not had a clue what to do until it blew up. Hopefully you can get it fixed with out to much $$$ spent.