Rifle Scope.

Talk about hunting gear.
Binoculars. Boots. Backpacks

markg
Liked posts: 50

Rifle Scope.

Post by markg »

Hi everyone. Been a bit quiet here lately, you must all be enjoying winter hunting. Hope your all having some success. I'm in the market for a new scope. What are you useing and why. I won't be shooting anything farther out than 200 yds, much more likely within 100. I like to get up close, it's more fun and a challenge. I got hold of a 7.08 recently and need one for it. Like to hear your opinions as regards quality , durability and suitability. Cheers . :D

AndrewT
Liked posts: 69

Rifle Scope.

Post by AndrewT »

I’ve a few but as far as value for money general stalking scope I’d go for a leupold vx freedom 3-9x....no nonsense good quality optics on a budget what more could you want for a stalking scope 😀

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 129

Rifle Scope.

Post by Seb »

What's your budget?
I've got a leupold 2-7 X 33 vxr and it's heaps clearer compared to my vortex Diamondback, and much lighter.
Hilldog has a couple for sale if you're looking used too

TempesT
Liked posts: 40

Rifle Scope.

Post by TempesT »

There is a meopta meopro 3-9 on used guns for 550, if you could jag that for 500 it would be hard to beat. They are a little portly at 450g. Infact everything these days carries too much weight and 450g is on the lighter side. The vx3 in 3-9 or 2-7 is nice and as good as you'll get keeping the weight down but there up over 900. I have thrown just over 1k at a GPO 1.5-9x32 it's suppose to be around 490g.

Infact now I'm keen to hear aside from the leupys is there are any light weight scopes these days!

Knackers
Liked posts: 41

Rifle Scope.

Post by Knackers »

Good question regarding lightweight scopes for mountain rifles apart from the Leupolds.

I heard Bushnell stopped doing the 3500 Elite series.
I have a 4-12x40 and it's compact and light to compliment the Tikka and solid as, never moves off zero.
Bought it after comparing it with a Leupold on a sunny day at a picket fence about 200m away.
Half the price and to me, it seemed clearer but could be just my eyes.

I like Bushnells for value and have a hand full of them.

Seems to be a heap of new brands popping up with pretty good clarity, not sure who is actually making them and they are not dirt cheap.
They all seem solid but on the heavy side.

The trick is to always check it's on the low zoom before you even pack the car.

AndrewT
Liked posts: 69

Rifle Scope.

Post by AndrewT »

TempesT wrote: June 5th, 2022, 11:59 pm There is a meopta meopro 3-9 on used guns for 550, if you could jag that for 500 it would be hard to beat. They are a little portly at 450g. Infact everything these days carries too much weight and 450g is on the lighter side. The vx3 in 3-9 or 2-7 is nice and as good as you'll get keeping the weight down but there up over 900. I have thrown just over 1k at a GPO 1.5-9x32 it's suppose to be around 490g.

Infact now I'm keen to hear aside from the leupys is there are any light weight scopes these days!
I have a Burris fullfeild on a 300 wm it’s 350 gems and a 4.5 /14 hasn’t been used enough yet to say whether I’m a fan or not.. actually I checked that it’s actually 433 grams my mistake
Last edited by AndrewT on June 8th, 2022, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markg
Liked posts: 50

Rifle Scope.

Post by markg »

Thank you very much everyone for your offers and input. One of the local hunting club guys (who actually hold meetings at my fishing club) had a Kahles 2nd hand he want s to get rid of. Only has some scratches here and there , rest looks good. Glass is very clear I must say and the price is right. It's 3x9x42. Not too heavy either. Thank you all again. Bit exxy scopes with lower mag etc.that I checked out. On the subject of Meopta, I had a look at a Meostar something don't remember exactly, but the clarity of that thing was awesome. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the Z3 swarovski.

Knackers
Liked posts: 41

Rifle Scope.

Post by Knackers »

That Kahles could be just the ticket.
I forgot about them and they don't look heavy like the rest of the cheaper pack.

Should get the low light hunting advantage as well, that's where the extra coin can pay off.