The Wheel Turns Full Circle

Talk about 4WD and Camping
Vehicles. ATV. Swags. Tents
Wallow
Liked posts: 15

Post by Wallow »

When I first began hunting deer aka sambar I initially used my HQ Holden sedan as transport but being a 2 wheel drive it had limitations. Then I had a break through in bush access when I bought a Suzuki LJ50 2 door which had the ever reliable 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine.. Noisy, slow but ever reliable it took me many places in Vic and NSW on hunting trips. In the scrub it was oh so capable with the little 2 stroke spinning away at high revs and crossed many an inland stream with out drama except for one instance. Some 50 years later I enjoy many fond memories of it.

But I'll advancing past those 50 years to today. Age abd related issues have caught up with me and I don't venture further than 100 klicks from home, no longer camp out, no longer tackle the hard tracks/hard country and the only running water I want to be in is what comes out of the shower rose. But I won't be giving up the bush and the deer. No way! So I'm moving the big 4x on and returning to my roots. That's right. I'm buying an auto 2021 Suzuki Jimny.

I'm very much looking forward to it being delivered in a week or so.

Wallow

Post by Wallow »

Oops...had a senior moment and forgot to add this.

What 4x are you running and why did you choose it?
Any pros and cons?

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 117

Post by Seb »

My mate was looking at the Jimmy's, he only does about 4 trips a year and was looking to downsize from a Hilux. The Jimmy seems very capable off road.
Myself I have a ranger and it has gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go so far

biglaz
Liked posts: 20

Post by biglaz »

Gidday Wallow Yeah heard of your adventures with the three pot screamer, it's stuff that legends are made off Lol. My current vehicle is a 08 hilux only got this one because I ended up putting my wheels on the roof of my previous Hilux 95 model, if I hadn't done that I reckon I'd still be driving it today. cheers
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

HDS
Liked posts: 179

Post by HDS »

i just delved into a rabbit hole in form of a "runner" car......... prolong the life of the Hilux. once it gets a nice clean up shortly.

it ticks all boxes as a polished turd! altho i have some time, i will pull one trick out of my sleeve, an hope to gowd it isnt the major F up. all signs leading to not being "effed" So,,,,, for what it is, i cant complain yet.

just need to sell some rifles to recoupe.

first id heard of new jimnys keewl
Warm Barrels.

Wallow

Post by Wallow »

HDS wrote: February 5th, 2022, 12:19 am first id heard of new jimnys keewl
You''ll have to help me out here please HDS. I have no idea what you are saying/meaning here.

markg
Liked posts: 37

Post by markg »

My current drive (only for boat towing and hunting) is a 2007 cruiser. Made in may 2007, last of the 100 series with the specced up motor 5 speed auto. Previous drives were all Patrols, both GQ and GU s. 7 all up. Only bought the cruiser in auto so the missus coiuld drive it, which she never has. Only has 120 thousand ks on it and drives pretty good on and off road, it's no Patrol though. I toyed with the idea of a new Hilux or D Max just recently. D Max have had turbo issues and cracking in some places so it got the flick. I might see what the new Hilux has when it arrives. Pretty sure the Triton , Hilux and D Max all share the same transmissions. Triton seem good value for money, $10,000 cheaper than the opposition and the super select drive system is a ripper. Now that Nissan has bought into the Triton I wonder how long it will stay good. Renaults involvment with Nissan rang the death nell on a great vehicle in the Patrol. Those Jimnys will go just about anywhere, my mate had a tricked up one in his workshop a week or so ago. Pretty small though. You would need a serious rethink on the amount of stuff you would have otherwise taken on any serious trip. But htat might not be a bad thing. I would love to have just one car for work and play, maybe a 79 series would be the go.

Wallow

Post by Wallow »

markg wrote: February 5th, 2022, 6:51 pm is a 2007 cruiser. Made in may 2007, last of the 100 series with the specced up motor 5 speed auto.

Triton seem good value for money, $10,000 cheaper than the opposition and the super select drive system is a ripper

. Those Jimnys will go just about anywhere, my mate had a tricked up one in his workshop a week or so ago. Pretty small though. You would need a serious rethink on the amount of stuff you would have otherwise taken on any serious trip.
I would be hanging on to that Cruiser. Petrol or diesel?

I agree. That Supselect auto tranny is unbeatable. I have a pre DPF diesel Pajero with it. Fantastic car. It is being moved on because of all the short, cold engine running it now does every day and this won't change any time soon.. A DPF fitted car would be a huge mistake.

I need a petrol engined 4x which severely limits new car options to just a few models.

Yes.....the Jimny is a small car with a small luggage space. Folding the rear seats down opens up the carrying capacity. I'm hoping that it will be enough for me, my dog and our hunting/fishing/recovery gear/chain saw. Oh yeah.....plus sambar .antlers and back legs for the trip home.

Do you remember the Suzi coil sprung Sierra 4Xs Mark?

Two friends had one fitted with a small roof rack. They would regularly pack all their food, camping and hunting gear and go away hunting in it for a week at a time. The 'Gatta was a favourite as was Gippsland for Hog Deer.

burners
Liked posts: 33

Post by burners »

I would love one of the Suzi's in a ute, be a handy little run around and fishing/hunting set up, cheap to run, go almost anywhere....

I had an Suzi LJ80 once, rusted out bucket of shit it was haha but at the time I was P plater who had to have a 4x4, did some cool beach fishing trips in it.

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 117

Post by Seb »

The new 4 door Jimny's look pretty cool. Like a mini Merc g wagon.
Nearly cost as much as the Merc though

Wallow

Post by Wallow »

Haven't seen the prices for the 4 door but your obs don't surprise me Seb.

Car prices are just nuts..... :shock:
I got a great deal on mine but looking at Carsales today many are now around +$5K to $7K dearer than what I'm paying.....and mine has wrapping thrown in to stop the panels from being scratched.

But why the Suzi factoru puts Highway tyres on a Jimney is beyond me. :?: Oh well....new rubber coming up.

Knackers
Liked posts: 39

Post by Knackers »

If I had a good low mileage late 100 series, I would just keep it.
May drink a bit if petrol or be a tad slow if diesel but it will go forever.

These modern fuel rail turbo diesels may go well and drive better than lots of road cars but they are blowing up like flys on a turd and cost a bomb if any of the major components die.
They say anything more than a turbo will cost 6k or more.

I got a top model BT50 new in 2016 and just missed out on the DPF so it goes like the clappers and runs as economical as a 4cyl car.
Not missed a beat for 90,000km but scared now for the second innings.

Thinking of a low water alarm and blocking the EGR.
Then if an injector fails as they are known to do, I could still stuff the motor.

I service it properly unlike Mazda stealers, good oil every 10,000 and fuel and air filters at 20,000.
Get the trans done as they are known to shit themselves.
Just hope I don't get unlucky.

markg
Liked posts: 37

Post by markg »

Hey Knackers, both Bolec and Redarc make low level coolant alarms. I ran the redarc in my pervious vehicle (pootrol). The cruiser is not too bad on fuel if you stick to the speed limit. It is never driven around town and mostly lives in the garage. I was surprised to see a road and tow test between a Y62 Patrol vs 200 cruiser, the Patrol used 20 ltrs less than the 200 after the road and tow test. Not bad from a 5.7 LITRE donk. Heater hoses are one item that doesn't get checked enough in vehicles. It's a cheap part that can cause a big problem. I ran a 130 Defender for a while, great on juice and unstoppable off road, but plagued with intermittent electrical issues and other idiosyncratic things for defenders.

Knackers
Liked posts: 39

Post by Knackers »

Yeah, a mate changes his 4x4s like his undies but the 2 keepers were an 80 series petrol and a 100 series turbo diesel.
He bought a near new Patrol but sold it within a few months.
The wife still drives the 100 as he has the 200 now.

I helped him by towing the biggest new vans between Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast so he could fit more smaller ones on his truck.
It was a breeze and never missed a beat including 2 of the biggest things towable, a brand new live in front with horses in the back thing and a huge food cooking van thing.
When he picked it up he decided to fit a load equalizing kit that night for me to tow it down near Melbourne, must of pulled the car around and scared him.
Was OK but the only load to ever test the car, was black soot on the rear and he had never seen that before, I prob pushed it a bit.
It had duel tanks and not my money so not sure but was mainly just using the main so can't have been too bad.

Was just looking up a Davies Craig water alarm kit for about $169.
Has the top hose sensor that I like and could fit it all myself without any issues.
Will check out those others as you really need one as cheap insurance.

These modern cars with all their faults and stupid features could end bad.
That 100 series may just outlive them all with no outlay for a new one.

Wallow

Post by Wallow »

I echo your sentiment re the longevity and reliability of the 100 and 200 series Cruisers Knackers. it's just a shame they are getting old now and age related things such as failing gaskets/oil leaks may catch up with them. Given a modicum of care and a mechanically sympathetic driver all the whirry bits should keep on whirring for a long time yet.

Well....my Jimny has turned up at home. I'd never seen one in the flesh before. It is a breath of fresh air in looks. There is a heap of technology incorporated into it but perhaps not as much as a diesel engined 4x. Being a small 2 door it is challenging to sort out what to carry and what to leave home from what I've always carried in my large 4x wagons. But that dash.........the car may be small but did they really have to shrink thre dash gauges so much.

So I took it for its inaugural bush drive, Bouncy but quite nimble. Potholes tend to shake it up a bit but no dust ingress and it was very dusty.

When I got home the car didn't have any dust on it. Being "vinyl wrapped" the panels are so slippery that the dust simply gets blown off.