Wriggle Sticks

Talk about anything you want.
Keep it Civil
Wallow
Liked posts: 15

Wriggle Sticks

Post by Wallow »

Some 10 years ago in Victoria we had a summer similar to what we are experiencing at the moment. Wet, cool days and nights and continually cloudy. The first couple of years after this the snake numbers dropped away substantially.

A guess which makes some sense is that due to unseasonable cool/wet weather the normal food species dropped in numbers so weren't available to the snakes like normal. Which led to newborn snakes dying plus older snakes not surviving the following winter hibernation due to low or none energy reserves.

A couple of normal summers following this saw snake numbers recover to normal levels.

This summer snake numbers are well down and no juveniles seen at all..

What's it like where you are?

Hosery
Liked posts: 51

Wriggle Sticks

Post by Hosery »

I’m in east Gippsland. I’ve seen more snakes this season than I’ve seen any other summer and snake season isn’t even close to over yet. All the different colours also. Almost stepped on a solid brown few weeks back got the blood pumping.

Obviously with temps and weather being suited to hunt still I’m in the bush more than I normally would be for this time of year. So that means more chances for encounters. But I’ve seen plenty just driving around and on the farm. Saw a decent size brown just today. All photos from this season.
Attachments
E895A838-B6B4-4FB7-A5F8-1BE84221DB8D.png
99B5039D-7093-418B-8ABF-3B173ED60560.png
A173172B-1D72-403B-8D9D-0112D5B6550D.png

Wallow

Wriggle Sticks

Post by Wallow »

Hosery, that is interesting that you're having a big snake season and I've only seen three - 2 Copperheads and a Black. [N/E Vic].. No road kills either.

Browns........ugh....bad tempered, aggressive, fast and think they own the world. Thank goodness I don't see too many of them. I'm not frightened of snakes - as a kid using a stick and bare hands we use to catch them and bring them home alive - but I have a healthy respect for them. I generally see Copperheads, Red Bellied Blacks and a smattering of Tigers. The Tigers can be a handful at times but really they are pussycats compared to a Brown.-

I do worry for my dog though. He has a neat trick with them though. He'll advance on said snake and at the first sign of movement he does big backwards somersault which takes him out of the strike range. But then he'll do it all over again if I let him....I don't....not that I let him do it in the first instance.

Knackers
Liked posts: 41

Wriggle Sticks

Post by Knackers »

Not seeing many but getting too hot to bother getting out there anyway.
Super humid and hot now with more rain expected, just how much and where it drops, who knows.

Weird seasons and lots more were sighted in Winter for some reason.
Seen none of the local redbellies and I don't mind them but not keen on browns at all without a shotty in hand.

markg
Liked posts: 50

Wriggle Sticks

Post by markg »

Had a lot on our property too this year, and with all the rain we keep getting it's difficult to keep the grass around the cottages down. Gets so long only a slasher will cut it. Lot of browns and only one RB. seen no copperheads . Been the odd tiger, always about when there are a lot of tadpoles. Be easy to miss the brown in your pic if your not paying attention. Double edged sword creeping silently through the bush hunting.

Wallow

Wriggle Sticks

Post by Wallow »

Yesterday a penny dropped as I watched my little dog. For years he has always but unsuccessfully chased the drop tail lizards in a corner of the garden. They weren't there and I realised I hadn't seen them since last summer.