308 first Sambar rifle. Did I just screw up?

Talk about all things deer and deer hunting.
Hunt reports. Stalking. Hound Hunting.

ClintFox
Liked posts: 8

Post by ClintFox »

Hi everyone,

Pretty sure this is my first (or maybe second) post so please be gentle.

I've just whacked a deposit on my first ever Sambar rifle. Howa 1500 in 308. I had kinda set my heart on a 30-06 but the gun shop bloke convinced me that there's very little difference up to 300 or so meters. I plan on mostly just stalking in bush.

I have never shot a deer and havent shot a rifle in over 20 years, but I was a decent shot in my 20's and I'm going to be heading to the range once I've got it and plan on getting a bit of practice in because I'm planning a deer trip at the end of July.

Did i screw up? Should I be going with something with "more punch" as they say? I'm starting to second guess myself and I've done a bit of research and it seems like I've done the right thing, but there's always that niggling feeling in the back of my mind that I shoulda went with the 30-06.

It would be great if you guys could weigh in on this.

Cheers
Clint

TempesT
Liked posts: 36

Post by TempesT »

ClintFox wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 2:05 pm Hi everyone,

I've just whacked a deposit on my first ever Sambar rifle. Howa 1500 in 308. I had kinda set my heart on a 30-06 but the gun shop bloke convinced me that there's very little difference up to 300 or so meters. I plan on mostly just stalking in bush.

I have never shot a deer and havent shot a rifle in over 20 years, but I was a decent shot in my 20's and I'm going to be heading to the range once I've got it and plan on getting a bit of practice in because I'm planning a deer trip at the end of July.

Did i screw up? Should I be going with something with "more punch" as they say? I'm starting to second guess myself and I've done a bit of research and it seems like I've done the right thing, but there's always that niggling feeling in the back of my mind that I shoulda went with the 30-06.

Cheers
Clint
Its the least of your worries. honestly.

If youd asked this question before you purchased I probably would have said go find a 30-06 and howas while great value are a little stout but.....
My first sambar rifle was a 308.
I killed sambar with it with factory rounds
I still own it
I still kill deer with it and other critters too.

A shot that hits vitals is waaay more the deciding factor than the caliber you hit it with (within reason here obviously not talking 17hmr vs 338mag)
So Id say now go find what factory ammo it likes then go shoot paper and steel until it becomes an extension of you arm.
Then you begin the painstakingly addictive task of learning how to hunt these things.

If you hang around enough sambar hunters youll find the demi god ones can still snif out and drop a sambar with just about any cal

Have fun!

ClintFox

Post by ClintFox »

TempesT wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 2:55 pm

Cheers
Clint
Its the least of your worries. honestly.

If youd asked this question before you purchased I probably would have said go find a 30-06 and howas while great value are a little stout but.....
My first sambar rifle was a 308.
I killed sambar with it with factory rounds
I still own it
I still kill deer with it and other critters too.

A shot that hits vitals is waaay more the deciding factor than the caliber you hit it with (within reason here obviously not talking 17hmr vs 338mag)
So Id say now go find what factory ammo it likes then go shoot paper and steel until it becomes an extension of you arm.
Then you begin the painstakingly addictive task of learning how to hunt these things.

If you hang around enough sambar hunters youll find the demi god ones can still snif out and drop a sambar with just about any cal

Have fun!
Awesome...thanks for weighing in @TempesT
Any suggestions on factory ammo that may suit?

TempesT
Liked posts: 36

Post by TempesT »

every rifle is different.

Go buy 4 to 5 in diff brands and diff weights (150 to 180 range). The sako factory stuff seems to be pretty reliable grouping out of just about everything.

Dont get dishartened if it dosnt like a particular brand. I purchased a like new ruger 7mm-08 last year cheap with 40 hornady spent cases. Got a box of the super performance and a box of the sako both in similar weight. Anyway sako runs comfortably under MOA and the super performance is 2-2.5".

HDS
Liked posts: 179

Post by HDS »

Cheers
Clint
Search on YouTube , "Perfect sambar cartridge" , I seen a video on it the other day 🙃😁

308 is perfect, 180gr for a bit more insurance on ya first few incase the shot angle is not perfect. As you get confident , a 150gr helps in less drop at 300, but ya know where not to put it at -100 or so ... Avoid shoulders with lighter projies but take wind out of their Sails and they sink quick (-100-200m)
Warm Barrels.

HDS

Post by HDS »

For what is worth RE the 30-06 and 308...
I use a 30-06... But.

But I use Varget /Aar2208 for 180grain loads, therefore my Velocity is much lower with high pressures, but, I also only have a 20 inch barrel.. this, should seee about 2550fps .... I cannot wait to chrono the load
Warm Barrels.

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 117

Post by Seb »

308 is all I've ever used with 180gr woodleighs, which you cant get in a factory load anymore, perhaps look at Remington Corelokts, or Sako Hammerhead.
Like Tempest said its more where you put it. My mate shot his first fallow in the back ham (excited) with a 338 winmag, not suprisingly it didnt do the job.
I told him they can't run without a heart or lungs so aim for the front half and shoot again, which he did and we managed to get half a backstrap and one leg of useable meat.

ClintFox

Post by ClintFox »

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keen as to get out there and put a few rounds through it. Appreciate the support.

A_HJ
Liked posts: 19

Post by A_HJ »

Another 308 shooter here, always had one and never had troubles dropping game. Like already said, test a variety of brands at the range. (don't forget to give your barrel time to kool down in between groups, the impact moves around a bit as it heats up, especially with lighter barrels but they also kool down faster. You want to be as close to a cool barrel as you can to simulate a bush shot.
Personally I use cheaper PPU 150g to sight it in. Inch high at 50m then zero at 100m. Then use the hunting round, usually 180g S&B but I'm currently testing 180g Rem Corelok. I found the S&B broke apart and made a mess of the insides.
I adjust back to zero with my hunting round if it has moved then call it ready. I also play around with further distances by setting it higher at 100m but that's another subject lol.
Enjoy, the .308 is a classic round in kiwi land ;)
@A Hunters Journey

ClintFox

Post by ClintFox »

A_HJ wrote: June 24th, 2022, 6:22 am Another 308 shooter here, always had one and never had troubles dropping game. Like already said, test a variety of brands at the range. (don't forget to give your barrel time to kool down in between groups, the impact moves around a bit as it heats up, especially with lighter barrels but they also kool down faster. You want to be as close to a cool barrel as you can to simulate a bush shot.
Personally I use cheaper PPU 150g to sight it in. Inch high at 50m then zero at 100m. Then use the hunting round, usually 180g S&B but I'm currently testing 180g Rem Corelok. I found the S&B broke apart and made a mess of the insides.
I adjust back to zero with my hunting round if it has moved then call it ready. I also play around with further distances by setting it higher at 100m but that's another subject lol.
Thanks @AH_J Great info...picking it up tomorrow and gonna sight it in next week at a mates farm...cant wait!

HDS

Post by HDS »

A_HJ wrote: June 24th, 2022, 6:22 am

hey AHJ, So are these 150gr PPU and the S&B 180s, giving you a useable POI for both rounds?

ive got this going on with a 150gr Woodleigh ppsn and a 180gr Hornady BTSP, ones 2850fps and ones 2500fps........ at 100m , one is quite high and the other isnt as high. ones a bit flatter for 300m and the other hits like a hammer up to 200m.... i think :)
im yet to use a 180gr hornady in the 06
Warm Barrels.

A_HJ

Post by A_HJ »

HDS wrote: June 24th, 2022, 11:22 am

hey AHJ, So are these 150gr PPU and the S&B 180s, giving you a useable POI for both rounds?

ive got this going on with a 150gr Woodleigh ppsn and a 180gr Hornady BTSP, ones 2850fps and ones 2500fps........ at 100m , one is quite high and the other isnt as high. ones a bit flatter for 300m and the other hits like a hammer up to 200m.... i think :)
Yeah the 180gr hits lower at 100m and drops of a heap at 300m but like you said hits hard at 200m. 150gr carries well out further. These are factory Ammo so not terribly consistent. One day I will reload, I've got shit loads of brass.
@A Hunters Journey

HDS

Post by HDS »

A_HJ wrote: June 24th, 2022, 12:43 pm

Yeah the 180gr hits lower at 100m and drops of a heap at 300m but like you said hits hard at 200m. 150gr carries well out further. These are factory Ammo so not terribly consistent. One day I will reload, I've got shit loads of brass.
for the price of those PPU, i would buy 2 bricks and stick reloading into the last few chapters for a while... $125 for 100......

here is a 150gr Corelokt Factory load i pulled out of a bit of meat on the hide i was fleshing today, shot by my mate at about 200m -

when i was using a 308 , i was using Corlokt 150gr succesfully on big sambar, an later moved to Accubonds in 150gr- but seeing some of your hunts on the tube, i doubt you'l have much drama with a PPU 150gr on Sambar- it does sometmes lack instant drop- but i seldom see sambar do that in my experiences- an these smaller rounds get passed off as shit, but ive never met a deer with a hole in its lungs and or heart that has gone too far away- unless spooked or pushed too soon etc.

edit- $600 for 500x rounds. dang
Warm Barrels.

HDS

Post by HDS »

Hey Side Note,
ill Cooeee yaa tomorrow.... Stand by.
Warm Barrels.

A_HJ

Post by A_HJ »

HDS wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:53 pm

for the price of those PPU, i would buy 2 bricks and stick reloading into the last few chapters for a while... $125 for 100......

here is a 150gr Corelokt Factory load i pulled out of a bit of meat on the hide i was fleshing today, shot by my mate at about 200m -

when i was using a 308 , i was using Corlokt 150gr succesfully on big sambar, an later moved to Accubonds in 150gr- but seeing some of your hunts on the tube, i doubt you'l have much drama with a PPU 150gr on Sambar- it does sometmes lack instant drop- but i seldom see sambar do that in my experiences- an these smaller rounds get passed off as shit, but ive never met a deer with a hole in its lungs and or heart that has gone too far away- unless spooked or pushed too soon etc.

edit- $600 for 500x rounds. dang
Hey bro,

The PPU I only use the PPU for the range. The first couple deer I shot with HOG hammers, not sure the grain size. Dont know why I changed to S&B but i did. I found they kept breaking up inside and I didn't like it as I was after the ribs for eating too.
The corelok 180gr seem to be holding together but man it's a big hole lol
Yeah buying in bulk would be the ticket alright. I bought a heap of boxes in the pandemic so I'm good for a while.

Cooee, yeah sweet. I went out a couple weeks ago but didn't have a chance as I was track a group of deer all day but didn't catch up with em.
@A Hunters Journey

HDS

Post by HDS »

Yeah nice, copy on them holding together.
Here was the photo I ment to Post yesty

typical to the core loking ring, they often peel back to there- 150gr corelokt below
IMG_20220624_135857.jpg
Warm Barrels.

HDS

Post by HDS »

I just Dusted off a 303.........
its no more than a 308 an qualifies as one of my top 10 sambar rifles when combined with a Ruger #1 platform.

for all intent an purpose , being a strong action, i use 308 load data with varget/2208 an i think at the moment we are shootin a drawn down 8mm bullet , 170gr Speer hot cor from memory!
Warm Barrels.

Knackers
Liked posts: 39

Post by Knackers »

A .308 will do fine, 30-06 a bit betterer.

As said it's all about shot placement and a deers first instinct is to run away so they will take off even when shot in the boiler room.
Shouldn't go too far though.

I have a Weatherby S2 in .223 but for a plastic sporter, it's on the heavy side so I don't take it walking.

If you buy some diff ammos to try, that blue box Federal Powershok seems to shoot well in diff rifles and used to be good value if you bought 200 or so on sale.
Just a basic soft point but they seem to work.

biglaz
Liked posts: 20

Post by biglaz »

HDS wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:57 pm I just Dusted off a 303.........
its no more than a 308 an qualifies as one of my top 10 sambar rifles when combined with a Ruger #1 platform.

for all intent an purpose , being a strong action, i use 308 load data with varget/2208 an i think at the moment we are shootin a drawn down 8mm bullet , 170gr Speer hot cor from memory!

Why the need to use drawn down 8mm projectiles in a .303? Wouldn't it be easier just using the .303 projectile straight off?
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"