Sticky: Backpack hunting

Talk about all things deer and deer hunting.
Hunt reports. Stalking. Hound Hunting.

Hosery
Liked posts: 42

Post by Hosery »

This is a way overdue thread!

This is a place for anyone to ask any questions what so ever relatable or contribute anything at all towards backpack hunting.

I personally feel it’s pretty much the pinnacle of sambar hunting. Let’s face it who here doesn’t love camping, hunting and being completely remote away from the masses? So why not combine all into 1 and you come up with backpacking for sambar.

I’ll start us off. I had the idea 3 years ago with a good mate to walk into a remote/famous river system for 5 days. A plan was hatched and we made it happen. A full days walk had us deep into prime sambar country. Well the rest is history with more sambar seen than most blokes see in 1 year and a bloody heavy pack to walk out with the bug had well and truly bitten! We were hooked for life to this new style of hunting that was new to us.

Plenty more trips have been partaken since than without as much success. (Now remember success isn’t measured in inches either) but the hunger is still greater than ever and as soon as 1 trip finishes the next is no doubt in planning before the last has finished. The hours scanning maps and Google earth trying to find the next hot spot all becomes part of the fun.

Now we all see the YouTube etc videos of backpack hunting and think that you need the best of the best gear to get in the game. When in all honesty you most likely already have most of what’s needed maybe say apart from a pack and a couple of minor bit and pieces. So what are you waiting for. Get your arse into gear and go have a crack if you havnt already you won’t look back I promise! You don’t necessarily have to walk for days on end to be in the game. But we have all been there you go for a day hunt and as the hunt is drawing to a end you get into better country and wish that you could start you hunt from here. Well it’s simple strap a pack on and camp there and hunt in deeper from there where the average joe doesn’t get into and I can almost say the hunting will improve with less alarmed deer that you encounter.

Alright it’s now your turn. Please add what you can or definitely ask away. Just make sure you remember we all love pictures too!!!!
Last edited by Hosery on September 4th, 2021, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hosery

Backpack hunting

Post by Hosery »

Couple of teasers
Attachments
638514D2-35B9-41A5-AA2D-FBFB03CC93F0.jpeg
1529925A-B543-4502-9E3A-A490051D96E0.jpeg
41DE1BA6-16B2-4548-AF55-C3062B74CEB1.png

Hosery

Backpack hunting

Post by Hosery »

Breakfast with a view of stag by far my favourite snap whilst out there.
Attachments
D46171AF-3D92-45DB-B294-21000DD0AAB5.png
A1090CB4-ABED-47B6-8432-929787FEF294.png
90AD289C-CDDA-47DF-A41F-FB4BDC5E60E0.png

HDS
Liked posts: 179

Backpack hunting

Post by HDS »

Epic!!
Warm Barrels.

Dave9.3x62
Liked posts: 4

Backpack hunting

Post by Dave9.3x62 »

Good on ya Hose. I agree, you dont need the best gear, but light gear helps. Nice stag and great looking country.
When these bloody lock downs etc stop I will be getting across to Vic for sure.

markg
Liked posts: 37

Post by markg »

I agree with all that. It's a hobby that has it all as far as I'm concerned. I have yet to bag a stag, but that doesn't matter one bit. I just love the journey, and it's a new one for me. I truly regret not doing much much sooner. Deer don't care what brand you got on or what glass your using. Sambar hunting rocks. :D :D And on the subject of gear, I flogged a couple of fishing outfits for some Trinovid 10x42 s. Now I got eyes. Advice on bino harness anyone ? Looked at Marsupial , thought it was aussie, but it aint.

Dave9.3x62

Post by Dave9.3x62 »

I'd add that back pack hunting is great for any type of game imo.

HDS

Post by HDS »

back packing for sambar deer specifically ..

for Me the reasons above ring true- that is the camping , the hunting, the outdoorsism all in the one bag.
once i stepped into back packing , those little early morning hunts, or late arvo attempts of hunts felt not enough- certainly felt i had to be alot more luckier, pick my spot better an much the same, often got into good country as the sun was heading down, not one to walk around in the dark id ensure i had enough time to get back to vehicle, or camp.

i still find that problem today, no matter where the tent sits for a camp or base camp- im often wandering further away in search of A hunt.

hose ya spot on in regard to not needing too much an often having essentials covered without realising it, sure some items make life a little comfortable in one way or another but each to their own on how comfy you need to be.

over 2 nights is ok but when coming into over 3 nighters then it starts gettin real , proper sense of being out there an with only what you have with you, for 2 dayers ya can miss a day eatin or lack some water cos ya going to nice warm bed soon, those extended trips- thats real an what ya got, ya got to deal with. without puttin yaself into danger, its often those on the edge trips that keep ya comin back... its just hard to step off into that edge stuff as the comfort levels around us day to day are much higher an safer thn before.

mmm i need to do a big trip i think
Warm Barrels.

AndrewT
Liked posts: 47

Post by AndrewT »

Backpacking has been revolutionised by using a hammock for me ..no need to find flat ground all that’s required is a couple of trees walk till you sleep do it again. I’m sick for it
A

Dave9.3x62

Post by Dave9.3x62 »

Good comments Hilly.
Andrew T - Im not sure about hammocks - I roll a lot, did it take long to get used it?

I've not back pack camped out much, but when I think about camping out for a couple of days in Vic bush, I like the idea of hunting with easy access to water, lower down in the valleys. It seems that way, if Ive got enough dehydrated food and nibbles all would be good?

HDS

Post by HDS »

Dave9.3x62 wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:09 pm I've not back pack camped out much, but when I think about camping out for a couple of days in Vic bush, I like the idea of hunting with easy access to water, lower down in the valleys. It seems that way, if Ive got enough dehydrated food and nibbles all would be good?
yeah ken oath, the dehydrated stuff is good but imo a bit over rated- you can certainly get by carting decent stuff in like salami cheese bread, alot of nibbles if re packed as factory stuff comes with alot of air, which doesnt compress well obviously.
a Dehy or three meal at night certainly goes a long way dont get me wrong.

good place to be camped an walking around the bush or goin upstream (up wind) of camp to sit wait over crossings and glass opposite faces- small 2 piece trout rod comes in handy with these longer, warmer days- more so on longer trips 4-5+ days- when a camp day is needed without doubt-
3 dayers ya find yaself pretty keen to get down to business?

lower down in the creeks enables alot of access to multiple 'systems', so ya can afford to blow a few out in the frst few days knuckling down on where the deer may be..
Warm Barrels.

HDS

Post by HDS »

Q- what are you dudes using for Water filtration? i wanna purchase a life straw i think but want to use it inline between A water bag? / bottle? an another bottle, what am i lookin for here, any tips?
Warm Barrels.

Swiz
Liked posts: 22

Post by Swiz »

HDS wrote: September 6th, 2021, 11:24 pm Q- what are you dudes using for Water filtration? i wanna purchase a life straw i think but want to use it inline between A water bag? / bottle? an another bottle, what am i lookin for here, any tips?
i use this one, no troubles yet

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/platyp ... DhEALw_wcB

markg
Liked posts: 37

Post by markg »

Hilly. Sawyer have an in line adaptor kit. Not too dear either.

Hosery

Post by Hosery »

Zero water filtration here. The water up in the hills is better than what runs out of your tap at home. I know that obviously something could be dead up above but I always get water from flowing clean water not pools. Havnt got sick yet and have honestly been doing this close on 20 years Fishing hunting etc no problems. Purification tablets are easy but tend to make the water taste terrible.

I have been sussing out options tho and a life straw would be handy but only good for a drink and can’t cart water with you. Been looking at 1 of these potentially for up on the tops trips where water can be hard to come by without having to drop to the bottom for water.
Attachments
B86953A3-6A4F-4AA3-AFFA-74EF67FA3AF9.png

AndrewT
Liked posts: 47

Post by AndrewT »

Dave9.3x62 wrote: September 6th, 2021, 9:09 pm Good comments Hilly.
Andrew T - Im not sure about hammocks - I roll a lot, did it take long to get used it?

I've not back pack camped out much, but when I think about camping out for a couple of days in Vic bush, I like the idea of hunting with easy access to water, lower down in the valleys. It seems that way, if Ive got enough dehydrated food and nibbles all would be good?
Na I’m in the same boat as you , a restless sleeper the nights in the hammock have been some of the most comfortable I’ve had. Give it a crack

Hosery

Post by Hosery »

I’d love to be able to sleep in a hammock but I feel my back would last 25 seconds before it gave up. The sleep system is the hardest to decide on plus the biggest outlay pretty much. I’ve been running a tent and it is good for the benefits of a tent. But I’m seriously considering just using a tarp. Can strip just over a kg of weight save a bucket load of room and be very versatile.

Dave9.3x62

Post by Dave9.3x62 »

Yeop, I like the idea of tarping it, but I like the security of the tub bottom tent more.

Hosery

Post by Hosery »

What weight are any you fellas who pack out carting? Say 2-3 night hunt?
I’ll be packing my gear this weekend so I’ll hit the scales and see where I’m at. Ideally I don’t like to be much over 20kg inclusive of everything. Off the top of my head last time I was just under 21kg including 2L of water and 4 jds for 2 nights 3 full days on the hill

HDS

Post by HDS »

Hosery wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:31 pm What weight are any you fellas who pack out carting? Say 2-3 night hunt?
I’ll be packing my gear this weekend so I’ll hit the scales and see where I’m at. Ideally I don’t like to be much over 20kg inclusive of everything. Off the top of my head last time I was just under 21kg including 2L of water and 4 jds for 2 nights 3 full days on the hill
myself same story, not much more than 20, but often 25 if not far- far like urdoin, 20s good max
Warm Barrels.