July Trip Report Competition 2022

General hunting related discussion.
Regulations. Policy. News
HDS
Liked posts: 179

Post by HDS »

Ok,
i put it out there, so lets follow through...

July Trip report comp to be ran until the Last day of July, All you need to do is create a New Post in the Deer hunting Forum Labelled : Trip Report july 2022 entry

Type up your Story - mention the rifle and calibre + ammo used.
Upload atleast 3 photos from the Hunt that correlates to the Story - Atleast 3, more encouraged
Hit Submit

End of july I will see what Entries are In? and share them around , total "Likes " on the Topic will be primary talley- and a top few may be shared over on Hilldog Safaris facebook page for a final Talley of "Likes"

Prizes Will Be Worth Ya While and I will Announce the Major Prize at the Start of July.
IF- there is alot of Entries (would be cool) then i may do a 2nd 3rd place Prizes (TBA later Date)

There is no Bonus points just for Antlers, artistic thought-out photographs of Hinds harvested Go a long way in my Book- remembering it is The Hunt in which we strive to achieve success.

No need to give Secret Spots Away, Everyone on Hunt and Fish is a Respectful Genuine Recreational Hunter content with their own movements and locations.

Everyone on Hunt and Fish enjoys reading of adventures and experiences from other like minded Hunters.... I know that If I do not make a post, then I can expect to Log in Next Time and read Someone elses Report either... Two way street... LETS GO

Cheers!

Watch This Space.
Warm Barrels.

HDS
Liked posts: 179

Post by HDS »

A couple of timely items arriving in the mail recently..... im waiting on One more 'major' and then ill announce some Prize/s ?

Any input on having a major Prize, or having maybe 2 seperate Prizes- Best Photo - Best Story? - this way by puttin a little effort into the Story post, there is a chance even a Kool photo can snag a prize? an Stories are self explanitory :) everyone loves a story.

want the first one to be all good an inviting, then the 2nd time round it might be something worth continuing!
Hollaaa
Warm Barrels.

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 117

Post by Seb »

Sounds good man. I'm heading up this weekend so will put something together to fire things up

Seb
Site Admin
Liked posts: 117

Post by Seb »

With the Ute loaded and work done for the week I headed straight for the hills.
Cold crisp days are the best time of year for hunting sambar. Turning up the track that takes me to a spot I've had good luck in before I noticed pretty fresh tyre marks in the dirt.
My regular spot is a fair way into the bush and doesn't seem to see much vehicle traffic so it was surprising that the tyre tracks carried on for the next half an hour of driving. Eventually I came across two blokes pulled up with a fire going probably 2ks up the hill from my intended destination. I got out and said gday and we chatted about hunting over a couple of beers and let each other know where we were planning on hunting the next morning, turns out we were going in complete opposite directions so was all good. Couple more beers and being about 10pm now I figured we all wanted to hit the swag so I left them to it and headed down to my regular camp where I have a stash of dry firewood and a game plan for the morning.

Up and at them after a night in the swag, temps were cold. Bit of a crunch on the ground and I got a coffee on the boil and chucked some tucker in my pack, filled up my water bladder and laced up my boots.
I had intentions of checking out a new gulley I'd glassed previously from higher up so made my way in that direction. Alot of sign down low and tapering off higher up I decided to cut across a creek and push on into another system where I knew of a few wallows and a few good feeding areas.
Slowly working my way up the system I heard something small making noise 20m ahead of me, figuring it was a wombat I didn't think much of it, next minute a young fawn not much bigger than a kelpie comes bounding straight towards me before sidestepping to avoid me and tearing off down the hill. Mum got up about 40m away and made tracks in the other direction up the hill honking all the way. I decided with her on one side of me and the fawn on the other, it was worth just sitting where I was as she was likely to return.
Within about 10 minutes she reappeared and started honking her guts out, walking back and forth across the face of the gulley I was in.
P1000087.00_01_41_05.Still003.jpg
I filmed her for a while and then grabbed my rifle, she was standing approx 30m away behind a tree but no shot presented before the wind changed and she honked and tore off back up the hill. From first sight until being gone would have been close to an hour and was a great encounter after a slow morning.
P1000087.00_02_37_24.Still004.jpg
I grabbed all my gear and kept working up the gulley towards the wallows and feeding area, I came over a small crest and saw movement ahead of me, a young stag, he was onto me and with a front leg raised he gave a stomp just as I pulled the trigger. I figured it had been a while for me since I took some antlers home and the meat on young stags is just as good as hinds.
He was quartering to/front on with the woodleigh 180gr entering between the brisket and front shoulder. He ran for about 30m before piling up next to a tree. Luckily I heard clearly where he piled up as there was no blood to track and only a few deep running marks.
Quick photo and into the work as it was fading light and my headtorch was about as handy as a backlight on a Casio watch (replaced the batteries when I got back to the Ute)
Both back legs, backstraps and the head all packed up I was headed out of the bush just as the sun had crested the hills.
I made it to the road I could follow back to camp just as the moon was rising and after about a half hour walk I was back for a good sit down and a cold beer.
P1000087.00_09_27_11.Still001.jpg
IMG_20220703_143454.jpg

Knackers
Liked posts: 39

Post by Knackers »

Nice, the only thing better than a good encounter is shooting one to end the day.

markg
Liked posts: 37

Post by markg »

Great report. Getting some meat is a big plus , particularly the way food prices are on the rise. Meat is very expensive, and so is everything else. I went for a lash last week, I will get a brief report.